Networker

[Networker] Configuring SL500

2006-08-31 08:14:50
Subject: [Networker] Configuring SL500
From: Daryl Davis <govtmadd AT BELLSOUTH DOT NET>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 07:55:05 -0400
The old way of configuring the library was to run "inquire" which
gives you the device path and the serial number of each drive.  Then
we ran "sjisn b.t.l" (i think "sn -a b.t.l" would also work) which
gives each drive ELEMENT number and serial number.  Then we could
match the serial numbers and figure out each device path and drive
element pair.

Next run "jbconfig" which is the script to manually configure the
Library (again the SL500 does NOT Auto-Configure via the  7.3 GUI).
jbconfig will ask "What is the device path to Drive 1 Element 500".
Using the information gained above, we used to be able to answer that
question.

Since Solaris 10, doesn't support the sji commands anymore,
the recommendation of the support engineer was to put a tape in one of
the drives and run "mt -f /dev/rmt/x status" on each /dev/rmt device
until finding the one with the tape.  Although this does work, it
seems like a crappy solution.  If it was possible to configure the
Library in Solaris <10 without physically touching the library, it
should still be possible.  Right?

"signoff networker" in the