Networker

Re: [Networker] Quantum Superloader 3

2006-08-17 05:09:57
Subject: Re: [Networker] Quantum Superloader 3
From: Lars Hecking <lqh AT CYPRESS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 10:06:24 +0100
Preston de Guise writes:
> Hi Lars,

 Hi Preston :)

> Going back to your earlier posting showing the /proc/scsi/scsi output, and
> assuming the library is on the same bus as the drive, consider running the
> following:
>
> for lun in 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
> do
> echo scsi add-single-device 1 0 5 $lun > /proc/scsi/scsi
> done
>
> If the library is on the same controller/target/bus as the tape drive, but
> just a different LUN, that should locate it for you.
>
> Note that you'd need to do this each time you reboot. I've generally found
> setting up an init script to be more reliable than the vagaries of kernel
> rebuilds and then remembering to reapply changes on later builds...

 Interesting method. I would have tried it, but I got it to work in the
 meantime :)

steve (rader@) wrote earlier:
> try
>
> options scsi_mod max_scsi_luns=255
>
> in /etc/modules.conf
>
> but iirc you also need a kernel with CONFIG_SCSI_MULTI_LUN set

 This is _nearly_ it - a CONFIG_SCSI_MULTI_LUN kernel is not required,
 but in addition to the options line in modules.conf, one needs to
 rebuild initrd (this is necessary for any SCSI/ATA related changes in
 modules.conf). I found a similar issue in RedHat's knowledge base; the
 command to rebuild initrd on RHEL3u6 is

   new-kernel-pkg --mkinitrd --depmod --install 2.4.21-37.ELhugemem

 And now:

# /usr/sbin/inquire
[email protected]:CERTANCEULTRIUM 2       1775|Tape, /dev/nst0
                                           S/N: 4A4B30305A4E350000000000
                                           ATNN:CERTANCEULTRIUM 2
[email protected]:QUANTUM UHDL            0031|Autochanger (Jukebox),
/dev/sg1
                                           S/N: 4346354A43323033363300000000
                                           ATNN:QUANTUM UHDL
C123456789
                                           IENN:00E09EFFFF07ADAF
                                           WWNN:500E09EFFF07ADAF
[email protected]:LG      CD-ROM CRN-8245B1.16|CD-ROM, /dev/sg2

 Thanks, guys!