Networker

Re: [Networker] CommVault vs NetWorker

2006-08-02 23:19:52
Subject: Re: [Networker] CommVault vs NetWorker
From: Alex Kay <Alex.Kay AT DLI.WA.GOV DOT AU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2006 11:13:18 +0800
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Legato NetWorker discussion
[mailto:NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU]
> On Behalf Of Oscar Olsson
> Sent: Tuesday, 1 August 2006 4:15 PM
> To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
> Subject: Re: [Networker] CommVault vs NetWorker
>
> On 2006-07-31 14:27, Ballinger, John M revealed:
>
> BJM> Anyone out there using/used CommVault.
> BJM> We are currently using NetWorker but are considering moving to
> BJM> CommVault.
> BJM> I'm still learning about it but apparently it has no command line
> BJM> interface.
>
> We are the initial stages of doing such an evaluation. Since we know
> networker inside out, but got lost in the commvault GUI, I can't say
for
> sure, but we have specifically asked for this, and to my very limited
> knowledge, most if not all can be done from CLI, although it might be
> windows CLI..
>
> Either way, I'm interested in almost all information on this topic
that
> people can share. Feel free and CC me if you respond off-list to the
> original email. :)
>
> //Oscar

We had a demo of CommVault a while back and, in a Windows environment,
it has a number of out of the box advantages over Networker. In
particular is the ability to do item level restores from normal backups
of AD, Exchange (no need to do brick level backups) and SQL Server. If
you've ever had to deal with restoring these type of things it is a BIG
plus in CommVault's favour.

Also, if a file exists on multiple machines (like the OS for example) it
only needs to backup one copy of the file and then uses pointers to
reference the file on other machines. However, I don't recall much on
it's Unix/Linux capabilities as we were not really into that platform at
the time, but now are moving into it quite quickly.

We will likely be having a closer look at it at some point, so I too am
interested in what others have to say...

Alex

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are intended only for the use of
the addressee(s).  It may contain information that is confidential and
privileged.  If you are not an intended recipient, any use, interference with,
disclosure, distribution or copying of this material is unauthorised and
prohibited.  If you receive this in error, please notify the author by Return
email to the sender.  Information in this message not relating to the official
business of DLI shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it.  While
every care is taken, it is recommended that you scan any attachments for
viruses.  DLI liability is limited to re-supplying affected attachments.

PLEASE NOTE: All dola.wa.gov.au and vgo.wa.gov.au email addresses have been
decommissioned. These have been replaced by dli.wa.gov.au addresses. Please
ensure that your records are updated to reflect this change.  Further
information can be obtained by contacting our service desk on 92737533 or
emailing Servicedesk AT dli.wa.gov DOT au