Networker

Re: [Networker] Mac OS X Intel Support Question

2006-08-02 06:27:05
Subject: Re: [Networker] Mac OS X Intel Support Question
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 06:18:54 -0400
On Aug 1, 2006, at 7:01 PM, Preston de Guise wrote:

Hi all,

I've recently started talking to product management at EMC about when/if
we'll get a Mac OS X client with Intel support.

I have few customers with Intel Macs out there suffering from not being able to backup their brand new laptops and desktops; I'm just wondering
however, how many of you are starting to see Intel Macs pop up in your
organisation and have to start thinking about backing them up?

I haven't seen any Intel Macs pop up here at Temple University that need to be added to our nightly backup schedule. We may have some Intel Macs, but they are probably not being used as servers. I doubt many organizations will see anything like that happen until Apple replaces its G5 servers with Intel-based servers, but that may happen very soon. Look for an announcement at this Monday's Macworld Developers Conferences.

You have me curious though. Why wouldn't the NetWorker client for Mac OS X work on an Intel-based Mac now? Wouldn't it simply run in Rosetta emulation mode? Although the CPU has changed, the file systems for Mac OS X haven't changed in years. In fact, I am typing this message on an Intel-based Mac portable that I purchased last March. I am going to bring it to work today and see what happens if I try to back it up via my NSR server. I will report back when I am done.

"signoff networker" in the