Networker

Re: [Networker] About Power-Edition license

2006-07-27 12:53:56
Subject: Re: [Networker] About Power-Edition license
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 09:44:57 -0700
> With NetWorker, I dont think you can backup a client which is part of
> cluster *with out* Cluster Client License (even if you are backing them up
> as physical clients and not as the cluster/virtual machine - no backup
> fail-over)

This appears to depend on the client.

For UNIX, if you don't have the networker.cluster file, the networker
client doesn't "see" the cluster.  You can back it up as a normal
client.

For MSCS, the detection appears to be built in to the networker client.
I was never able to work around and do non-cluster licensed backups of
MSCS enabled machines.

I'll add that this is *REALLY* annoying if you're doing a lot of
backups, a group decides they need to cluster machines and don't tell
the backup group, install MSCS and now you're out of licenses.  Even if
they have critical data, you're not backing them up again until you
resolve the licensing in some manner...