Networker

Re: [Networker] Restarting failed groups

2006-07-21 10:49:42
Subject: Re: [Networker] Restarting failed groups
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 07:49:23 -0700
> I apologize if this has been dealt with before, but it's not quite clear
> from the manual what happens in this case. I think, like Veritas with
> classes,
> a failed client in a group causes a group as a whole to fail, and if
> autorestart is set then the whole group will be re-run, rather than the
> sole client which has failed.

I don't think that's how it works.

'autorestart' allows an incomplete group to be continued after the
server comes up.  So it shouldn't affect a completed group at all.  It
doesn't try to re-run a failed client.

I imagine it looks at the 'work list' and runs anything there.  So if
the server reboots in the middle of a group, only the jobs that hadn't
finished are restarted.  (A client failure that has hit the retry limit
would be assumed to have finished).

> Of course, one can run `savegrp -c quux Group' and this seems to do the
> job, but is there an automatic way to have this done?

I don't know of one.