Networker

[Networker] Recommendations on target sessions of SDLT 600

2006-07-20 22:32:21
Subject: [Networker] Recommendations on target sessions of SDLT 600
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 22:27:15 -0400
Hi,

We're using SDLT 600 drives. NetWorker sets the default target sessions
to 4. Seems this is always the case regardless of the drive type.
Obviously, mileage will vary, and experimentation will determine best
balance between backup/recover time. However, our older SDLT 220 drives
have always been between 4-5 and we found that to be adequate for backup
time without any major impact on recover speeds. Seems that if the 600
drives are so much faster, though, then we ought to be able to increase
the target sessions, assuming this increases backup speed, and still
recover just as fast as we would have with the slower 220 drives with
target sessions set to 4. Maybe it doesn't work that way, so just
curious what kind of values others are using or have found to be the
best for these drives.

George