Networker

Re: [Networker] Cloning from Disk

2006-07-17 07:12:13
Subject: Re: [Networker] Cloning from Disk
From: Neil Jowsey <n.jowsey AT LEEDS.AC DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 11:54:27 +0100
The LUN layout on the AX you use to create the advanced file system
space may have an impact on the read performance needed for cloning.

I'm not sure if this is your problem but I have heard of problems with
multiple LUNs created in RAID groups all being turned a very large
single LUN with Veritas Volume Manager not performing anywhere near well
as *one* LUN per RAID group (multiple LUNs again being striped under
Veritas to make one large LUN). Does this make sense? This was on a CX
rather than an AX.

I think the issue is a conflict between the striping of the VVM across
LUNs and the prefetch cache algorithm on the CX not working well under
these circumstances.

Cheers

Neil

 Neil Jowsey, Systems Storage Co-ordinator
 Information Systems Services
 The Computer Block, The University
 of Leeds. Leeds, LS2 9JT.
 Tel. +44 113 343 5687 Fax. 5411