Networker

Re: [Networker] Failed to read 65536 byte block with 32768 byte read

2006-07-05 10:20:51
Subject: Re: [Networker] Failed to read 65536 byte block with 32768 byte read
From: Scott Russell <lnxgeek AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 10:02:27 -0400
Clark, Patricia wrote:
[mailto:NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU] On Behalf Of Scott Russell
Also seen on Red Hat 7.3 through RHEL 4. On Linux this is normal when the end
of a tape is encountered.
Not necessarily an end of tape message, it happens every time Networker
runs.  This has been discussed before on this list.  So far it is
meaningless and there is nothing that can be done to stop it unless
someone knows more up-to-date info.

That's odd. I don't recall seeing "Failed to read %d byte block with %d byte transfer" other than when the tape has reached the end. I'm most likely not remembering correctly.

Checking into st.c it seem to be an informational message that happens in read_tape(). It is located in the nested EOF / EOM / ILI checks and appears related to a SCSI ILI (Incorrect Length Indicator) condition. The result returned seems to be -ENOMEM which translates to "Not enough space" according to errno.h.

Looking at my system logs and Networker logs I see the same message within a minute of when a savegroup kicks off. Maybe it's happening during a label read? Might be related to using variable block sizes?

I'll also agree that it's been harmless for us. I suppose I should read the list archives and see if I posted anything useful last time I researched it :)

--
Scott Russell <lnxgeek AT us.ibm DOT com>
IBM Linux Technology Center, System Admin

"signoff networker" in the