Networker

Re: [Networker] How to duplicate a client from command line?

2006-06-28 10:15:16
Subject: Re: [Networker] How to duplicate a client from command line?
From: "Voetelink D." <voetelink AT ECN DOT NL>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 16:08:48 +0200
Manel Rodero wrote:

I'm trying to create an script for duplicating clients from command line.
The idea is the following:

- I have more than 100 clients defined with its savesets and arranged in the
"normal" backup group (with the "normal" retention and browse policy of 28
days)
- Two times a year I need to do an "special" backup with a different
retention policy (1 year)

[...]

So the idea is create an script similar to this:

- The day of the special backup execute an script that
- Lists all the clients in the normal group and duplicate them chaging the
retention/browse policy and the backup group
- Do the backup (start the group)
- When the backup finishes, erase these special clients (the data in the
tapes will not be erased because of its 1 year retention policy)

If we need to recover data from these special backups (rarely), we will
recreate the necessary client and recover its data.

Any ideas about how to solve this problem? Any other ideas?

Why not make the 'spacial' backup with the normal client definitions and, after the group has completed, use mminfo & nsrmm to alter the retention policy of all save sets? e.g.
% nsrmm -S 12345 -w "1 year" -e "1 year"

greetings,

Dennis Voetelink

D. Voetelink
UNIX Systems Administrator

Energy research Centre of the Netherlands
Facilities Department - Automation Services

Petten, Netherlands

e-mail : voetelink AT ecn DOT nl
phone  : (+31) 224 564738

"signoff networker" in the