Networker

Re: [Networker] Horrible problems with base enabler disabled?

2006-06-26 11:00:01
Subject: Re: [Networker] Horrible problems with base enabler disabled?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 10:53:23 -0400
If you're referring to /nsr/rap then that's an empty directory on both the old and test server. The last modtime for that directory on the old server was 1996. The new server is April 2006. This directory has always been empty, though, on both machines.

At what point do we delete the old licenses on the test server? Before we go from 6.x to 7.x or after we go to 7.x? Note: we need to have 6.x on there first in order to import the resource database from our 6.1.1 server.

Also, what enabler do we need to load, and do we do it before going to 7.x or after?

Thanks.

George

Ali wrote:

I think it's because networker is smart enough to know that this in NOT a new install so
the "temp base enablers" will expire as soon it re-scans its rap database.  I
think you will need to do a fresh re-install of networker on the test box.
Just perform full uninstall of newtworker, delete the nsr directory, reboot, re-install. Do not import the old rap database otherwise you will see the same issue. OR just stop networker daemons, delete /nsr/res and /nsr/tmp folders, restart. I think if networker detects the traces of old licenses it will again disable itself.
George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV> wrote:
I've set up a new test 7.2.1 server on a Solaris 2.9 box, and I'm having a lot of problems with the base enabler getting disabled.

When I stop and re-start the software, NetWorker reports that the base enabler has been disabled. If I then stop the software, run 'nsradmin -d /nsr/res/nsrdb', delete the base enabler, restart the software and then re-add the 45-Day enabler, via the nwadmin GUI, the server happily identifies the new 7.2.1 release and is perfectly calm. If I check the registration window, NetWorker reports the expiration date as Aug 08 2006. All well and fine. But when I shut it down and then re-start, at that point, it's back to the same problem. If I go to the registration window, NetWorker now reports the expiration date as May 2001. EMC has given us 3 different enablers, and it's the same situation every time. I did add an "Update for NetWorker 7" enabler code, and that remains with an expiration date of July 31, 2006 shut down after shut down and never changes. However, I did not add this when the test machine was at 6.x. It was at 6.x first so we could recover the resource database from our older 6.1.1 machine, and then I uninstalled the 6.x software and added the 7.2.1 software.

The old server (runs 6.1.1 and is used to run our nightly backups) is *NOT* up on the network while we're running the new server. The new server has the same ip name as the old server to make the transition easier. Since only one server is up at at time there are no IP conflicts. I even tried removing all the old licenses since they expired on Jun 20, 2006 and then added 45-Day enablers for all of them. They all show Aug expiration dates, but the darn base enabler just keeps disabling and expiring back to May 2001 every time I start and re-start the software.

Does anyone have any ideas of what might be causing this?

Legato is recommending that we start all over again from scratch, but this whole business of "Update/8" has me confused. When they gave me an enabler for what they said was "Update/8", the registration window names it: "Update for NetWorker 7". We already have an "Update/5", "Update/6" and "Update/7" installed on our old 6.1.1 server, but the '7' doesn't refer to version 7. This enabler was installed way back when we were at like 6.0.1 or something. What enablers do we need to install and at what point do we install them when moving the 6.x machine to 7.x? At what point do we add the new 45 day enablers for all our old licenses, and at what point do we remove the old ones?

Another thing we notice is that in our old release, we have something called Turbopak. They gave us a 45-Day enabler for this to load on the new machine. When I loaded it on the 7.2.1 server, it identified it as: "NetWorker, Network Edition" or something like that, but it's expiration date does remain at Aug 08, 2006, and doesn't do anything weird like revert back to an expired date when I re-start the software.

Thanks.

George

"signoff networker" in the