Networker

Re: [Networker] 7.3.1 not recommended by me

2006-06-23 02:09:47
Subject: Re: [Networker] 7.3.1 not recommended by me
From: "T. S. Kimball" <t.s.kimball AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 02:05:38 -0400
On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 09:39:04 -0400, Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU> wrote:

>Which OS are you running the 7.3.1 server on?
>
>I just gotta wonder ... is 7.3.1 working well on any platform?
>
>Does anyone on this list have any positive things to say about 7.3.1?

I remember someone mentioning running 7.3 with AlphaStor 3.1 on a Solaris
system relatively well.  Not heard an update recently, since AlphaStor
integration has been one of my main concerns (and have great hopes with the
7.3.x series).

The other ones that come to mind are different retention for clones (which I
workaround now), and proper Solaris 10 support (which will be a *big* thing
here soon).  I know that 7.2.2 has starting Sol-10 support, but we're
starting to fiddle with Zones/Containers so 7.3.2 looks promising.

We've not upgraded yet, due to our AlphaStor concerns as well as unable to
budget both time and money to the project (this would likely include an
upgrade of my Server to something better than an E-450, perhaps a 440 or
T2000).  The time investment is that we're in the middle of a different set
of upgrades in the environment, which have to be done first (namely the push
to LTO-2, and perhaps also SAN / DDS via AlphaStor if time allows).  Both of
these reasons push our software upgrade timescale to next year.

But currently I'm looking at an upgrade to 7.2.2 instead of 7.3.x, though AS
will goto 3.1 no matter what.

--TSK

Timothy S. Kimball
http://sungak.net