Networker

Re: [Networker] 7.3.1 not recommended by me

2006-06-22 16:12:14
Subject: Re: [Networker] 7.3.1 not recommended by me
From: Daniel Rich <drich AT PDI DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 13:08:27 -0700
Thomas, Tim wrote:
> According to Legato support, you are correct in that you cannot
> downgrade.  The databases are incompatible.  I have been told by Legato
> support that if we did downgrade, we would have to either scan in all
> our tapes as needed for restores or scan them all at once up front.
> This would be time consuming but hopefully, it would be a short term
> investment in time rather than the hours I spend daily troubleshooting
> 7.3.x.

If you don't scan them up front, you are going to need to manually
handle tape recycling and relabeling, as those tapes won't be in your
media database any more.  I thought about it when we started having
serious problems with 7.3, but decided I get more value out of staying
at 7.3 and trying to fix the problems.  That could also be because I
have over 2200 volumes in my media database... :)

I just wish someone at Legato would whip out a tool to revert the
database.  It *could* be done (and I've asked for it several times as
part of the now 4 1/2 months of problems we've had with 7.3), but it's
not something they are willing to do.  I'm guessing it's not a resource
issue, as the code should just be a matter of using the existing code in
7.2.1 and 7.3 to read and write the data.  I think it's more an issue of
"if everyone downgrades we won't be able to debug/fix the problems".

--
Dan Rich <drich AT pdi DOT com>
          PDI Dreamworks |  "Step up to red alert!"  "Are you sure, sir?