Networker

[Networker] 7.3.1 + Licensing Question

2006-06-21 15:42:31
Subject: [Networker] 7.3.1 + Licensing Question
From: Randy Doering <rdoering AT COMCAST DOT NET>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 15:38:38 -0400
Greetings,

We have just completed a migration to a new Networker 7.3 on RHEL4U3 and
have also just installed 7.3.1 per Legato Support to try and fix a couple
of issues we are seeing.

With NDMP backup (EMC Celerra + Clariion) I see each data mover with all
of its' savesets in the "Waiting to run" with "Contacting Client" as the
command. These DM will sit there for hours and then start to run
(seemingly at random) and finally will finish. I have put each DM in its'
own group and start them at like 2 then 3 then 4 in the morning. That was
the behaviour with 7.3 and 7.3.1 didn't help.

I'm having a problem now with 2 W2000 Servers, but had the same problem
with a RHEL 3U5 server. When doing the backup (and now just a "savegrp -pv
TestGroup", it returns:

06/21/06 15:12:38 savegrp: job (9105) host: jcvsf-vms-b.jcvsf.org
savepoint: jcvsf-vms-b.jcvsf.org:Probe had SEVERE indication(s) at
completion.
06/21/06 15:12:38 savegrp: jcvsf-vms-b.jcvsf.org:probe abandoned.

for each failed client.

The Linux machine was doing this also, but was fixed when we modified the
firewall to allow the new servers through. Windows 2000 does not have any
firewall, so we're at a lost as to what it can be. We've reinstalled the
client s/w on one of the machines. Another W2000 client works fine.

And lastly, what is the difference between NDMP Tier 1 (2118) and NDMP
Tier 3 (2120) licensing? We have 3 active DM (1xTier 1 and 2xTier 3)and we
might be adding 4 more (ouch!). I've located the old PR for the 2xTier 3
license, but can't find one for the Tier 1.

Thanks In Advance,
Randy