Networker

Re: [Networker] How to backup servers running on VMWARE....

2006-06-16 14:25:55
Subject: Re: [Networker] How to backup servers running on VMWARE....
From: Rodney Rutherford <rrutherf AT tripos DOT com>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 13:21:43 -0500
Another option is to make use of the vmbk.pl script
available from http://www.vmts.net/

The script makes use of the existing ESX API and tools
to do a full backup of the virtual machines on an ESX
server to a filesystem.

We actually use that and backup all of our VM's to
a staging area on NFS storage.  We then backup the
NFS staging area via a single networker client that
we use for all of our NFS backups from our NAS.

The advantage is that you don't need to install any
networker clients on any of the VM's.  The downside
is that you have to restore the entire VM, there is
no way (currently) to restore just a few files.

Another disadvantage to this approach, is if you backup
each VM nightly, and also backup the staging area nightly
to tape; you are essentially getting a full backup to tape
every night, which can significantly eat up tape.  Depending
on the number of VM's, you could also run into backup window
issues.

We did, so we now backup a different ESX server each
night.  This also saves on tape.  Of course, this means
we are only getting weekly snapshots of the VM's, but that
is fine in our environment.

We are considering adding networker clients to some of
the more critical VM's to get incremental backups, and
keep the vmbk.pl backups weekly for DR purposes.  The
new backup options coming out with 3.x (we are currently
still running 2.5.x) may change our strategy as well.

Rodney

Ken Gehring wrote:
In answer to your questions
1) a backup of the vmdk and vmx files is probably all that is required, but
the nvram and log files are pretty small so just back them up too. The
backup will only be consitant if the vmware instance is either off or
suspended. If it is running the backup will fail and networker can't get a
lock on the file. Also you will need to specifically include the vmfs
directories that the vmdk files are in. Putting All in the savesets files in
the networker client config will NOT work. You will have to put in /home and
/home the /vmfs/vmhbaw:x:y:z directories as a minimum.
2) The vmware instances must either be shut down or suspended for networker
to be able to back them up. Otherwise networker just reports that the file
is open and won't back it up. The instances can be up if you are taking a
snapshot as you will only backup the snapshot. We use vmware virtual center
for suspending and resuming instances.
3) Don't know. Some neat stuff in vmware 3 but I won't use it for at least 6
months. I'll let others work out the bugs ;-)

Ken

"signoff networker" in the