Networker

Re: [Networker] Ethical? Its a perspective.

2006-06-15 07:29:16
Subject: Re: [Networker] Ethical? Its a perspective.
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 07:26:26 -0400
On Jun 15, 2006, at 5:41 AM, Maarten Boot wrote:

Ethical? Its a perspective.

For us as customers, ethical would be if the company that produces Networker backup software (what ever its name) would share all known problems and their known workarounds and fixes as freely as possible.

Maarten; all of what you said is true; however, each of us needs to establish our own set of ethics.

I am not at all a religious person, but the golden rule applies here. What ethics, if any, EMC has are immaterial to the ethical standards each of us sets as individuals. This issue speaks directly to a lesson my parents taught me when I was a child: two wrongs do not make a right. Just because you may be wronged by a company does not mean you should lower your ethical standards and commit a wrong against that company, tempting though it may be.

We can debate this question back and forth for hours, but as owner of this list I want to make two things clear:

1) No one should open up service calls to EMC on the basis of requests that are posted on this list. All rules have exceptions and one exception here would be to report a software bug. NetWorker is not perfect, but most of the postings I see on this list have nothing to do with software flaws, they are more of the nature of how to do something a bit out of the ordinary or stem from a lack of understanding of the software.

2) No one from EMC has ever contacted me to restrict the content of this list. The people at EMC know full well how to get in touch with me and we have spoken on several occasions outside of a standard customer relationship and the most I have heard from EMC or Legato folks was a
        thank you for hosting this list.

I agree that EMC should be more forthcoming with information on issues involving data recovery problems, but that does not give anyone license to steal technical support service for issues that do not involve software bugs. Period. That being said, there is not a thing I can do to prevent such behavior, so I am trusting subscribers on this list to do the right thing.

Actually, I guess there are three things to point out. The third is that no one from EMC contributes anything toward the maintenance or operation of this list. This list is maintained purely as a voluntary effort, and it also allows me to assess the functionality of the Listserv software that I also manage.

If you have any further comments on this issue, I would appreciate it being taken off list at this point.

Thank you.

"signoff networker" in the