Networker

Re: [Networker] Slow Win2k backup with lots of files

2006-06-07 16:40:12
Subject: Re: [Networker] Slow Win2k backup with lots of files
From: Oscar Olsson <spam1 AT QBRANCH DOT SE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 22:39:47 +0200
On Wed, 7 Jun 2006, Ty Young wrote:

TY> But truthfully you're not alone and I think the disk-based backup (to which
TY> you could stage off to tape) is probably what a lot of shops use to get
TY> past this issue.

I doubt that would help much. We use SAIT-1 which scales pretty well
regardless of thoughput from the backup server. On file systems with 7+M
files, the performace is usually around 50-200KB/s average. Even if this
speed is doubled, its still super-slow.

If you compare it with tar, you'll see significant speed differences. My
unsientific theroy suggests that its so slow because networker needs to
check with the server for every file backed up, and I also assume that
additional indexing is required for each file backed up as well.

Anyone have any data on how other products perform on file systems such as
these, for instance Commvault, since it uses an entirely different way of
keeping file indexes?

//Oscar