Networker

[Networker] Copies counter for a saveset is incremented, even after a failed clone

2006-06-06 06:05:10
Subject: [Networker] Copies counter for a saveset is incremented, even after a failed clone
From: Ben Deng <BD AT DBC DOT DK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2006 12:01:05 +0200
Greeting everyone,

I've just found out the copies counter isn't  what i think it is designed to be
in term of using it to determine which SSID is not clone yet.  Especially in
situation where a cloning process has failed.  I would therefore like to ask
any of you gurus how to overcome  this problem??

 Regards

   Ben Deng

***From EMC Legato technical bulletin***

Copies counter for a saveset is incremented, even after a failed clone

Note: Fact: NetWorker
Fact: cloning
Fact: Using 'mminfo -q copies=1 -r ssid' to select save sets for cloning
Fact: nsrclone
Symptom: Copies counter for a saveset is incremented, even after a failed clone
process
Symptom: Manual nsrclone failed
Fix: (Click Here To Go Back)

The 'copies' counter in the media database is frequently being used to
determine which save sets are not cloned yet. This is can be done by 'mminfo -q
copies=1 -r ssid', this will create a list of saveset id of all the savesets
without a clone.

While it may be argued that the documentation may leave some room for
interpretation on the meaning of the "copies counter", this counter is just a
record of the number of "instances" of the cloning done for the saveset. It is
not a record of 'successful' or 'incomplete' runs of cloning sessions for the
particular saveset.
This means that when a clone process fails or is cancelled for a specific
saveset, the 'copies' counter will still be incremented. As a result the
saveset does not have a valid clone but also does not show up anymore if the
'copies' counter is used to determine which saveset are not cloned yet.

>From a user point of view, this attribute, "copies" should only be used to
>check how many clones were done for a particular saveset and then it is up to
>the user to use other methods to check the validity of the clones - using
>"mminfo" on the cloneids and check the "ssflags". If it is only this counter
>that is used to determine what to clone or not, there is a change that there
>are savesets that end up without a valid clone!

The various man pages that mention this 'copies' counter will be updated to
reflect the meaning in more detail. Please contact LEGATO Software (Division of
EMC) Customer Support for further details.

A RFE (LGTpa62047) has been opened requesting a new counter that will only
count the number of valid copies of a saveset.
 ***