Networker

[Networker] Recovering SYSVOL on w2k server

2006-05-26 11:45:27
Subject: [Networker] Recovering SYSVOL on w2k server
From: Simon Delicata <sdelicata AT PLANER.CO DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 16:43:12 +0100

Hi there,

I've been doing some research on this, and what the best way to go about recovering it would be. So far, I've come with a procedure :

- Start in Directory Services Recovery Mode, and use networker to recover the "System State" saveset, relocating recovery to a different folder  (e.g c:\temp\sysvol)
- Copy the contents of c:\temp\sysvol to the %systemroot%\SYSVOL folder
- Restart in normal mode
- Cross-fingers, all is good

I've got a networker SYSTEM STATE backup of SYSVOL ( et al ) when all was good, but I don't want to recover all of active directory, as passwords have been changed & the such since this all happened, and I only have one DC on the domain. The w2k server is running SP4 and NW7.2.1. The networker server is on a separate AIX box, again running 7.2.1

Has anyone tried doing this ? I've read a chunk of what MS has written, but it's all geared around the backup application provided with w2k.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Simon Delicata
Simon Delicata
Planer plc, 110 Windmill Road,
Sunbury-on-Thames, Middlesex, UK, TW16 7HD
Tel: +44 (0) 1932 755064
Fax: +44 (0) 1932 755063
E-Mail: sdelicata AT planer.co DOT uk
Home Page: http://www.planer.co.uk