Networker

Re: [Networker] Networker Suspect Tapes

2006-05-20 11:48:09
Subject: Re: [Networker] Networker Suspect Tapes
From: "Faidherbe, Thierry" <Thierry.Faidherbe AT HP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 17:47:23 +0200
I have filled a RFE for such a problem. Once you lost
your daemon.log file, you cannot track back tapes that
got CRC error nor I/O Errors and you are correct saying
once the tape to be expired, the tape will be reused.

The only way I found is to run a script, running daily
and scanning daemon.log for tapes with CRC error or I/O
error and then store the barcode, name, pool, volumeid
to a specific file.

Then, a second script is needed for scanning tapes
loaded into jukebox(es) and reporting alert if a defective
one is loaded.

Regulary, perform cleaning by removing these tapes from
mediadb.

You cannot query volume based on suspect flag because
suspect flag is at SSID level. So, if a ssid is stored
across 2 tapes and the second met an I/O error, then
both tapes where listed.

Off course, you can make some assuption by query on
tape on ssid suspect flag and SSID chunck (Head, Medium,
Tail or Complete) and sorting on SSID offset.
Select tapes with Aborted SSID that are Suspect and where
SSID Chunck is Tail or Complete or last medium chunck
(or just last in SSID offset because up to here, networker
wrote correctly)
Yes, there are good tapes that will fall in the trap but
it's the only way.

HTH

Cheers,

TH

Kind regards - Bien cordialement - Vriendelijke groeten,

Thierry FAIDHERBE

HP Services - Storage Division
Tru64 Unix and Legato Enterprise Backup Solutions Consultant

 *********       *********   HEWLETT - PACKARD
 *******    h      *******   1 Rue de l'aeronef/Luchtschipstraat
 ******    h        ******   1140 Bruxelles/Brussel/Brussels
 *****    hhhh  pppp *****
 *****   h  h  p  p  *****   100/102 Blv de la Woluwe/Woluwedal
 *****  h  h  pppp   *****   1200 Bruxelles/Brussel/Brussels
 ******      p      ******   BELGIUM
 *********       *********   Phone :    +32 (0)2  / 729.85.42
                             Mobile :   +32 (0)498/  94.60.85
                             Fax :      +32 (0)2  / 729.88.30
     I  N  V  E  N  T        Email/MSN : thierry.faidherbe(at)hp.com
                             Internet  : http://www.hp.com/