Networker

Re: [Networker] best LTO2 drive for L700e?

2006-05-18 08:18:15
Subject: Re: [Networker] best LTO2 drive for L700e?
From: Tim Mooney <mooney AT DOGBERT.CC.NDSU.NODAK DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 07:14:46 -0500
In regard to: [Networker] best LTO2 drive for L700e?, Olaf Zaplinski said...:

We are looking for a SCSI or FC LTO2 drive for our Storagetek L700e. What brand and type would you recommend? Which ones generated trouble?

We bought an L1400e with LTO-3 last year (fibre attached).  Our STK
engineers and the sales team we worked with were willing to sell us any
of the brands, but they commented several times that they had the best
luck with the HP drives, specifically from a reliability standpoint.  At
the time LTO-3 in the L700e/L1400e was very new, so they were basing their
experience and comments on what they had seen with LTO-2.

My personal preference would have been IBM, but we have a lot of faith in
our STK field service engineers so we went with the HP drives.

We've actually only been using the library in production for about six
months now, but we haven't had a single problem with any of the drives.

We purchased about 350 LTO-3 tapes from STK at the same time -- I'm not sure
what brand they are, but again it's whatever our FSEs recommend for use
with the HP drives.  As Davina's recent post (and some older ones I
remembered well when we were looking at LTO) suggests, with at least the
first generation of LTO, there were incompatibilities with certain
drive/tape combinations.   I don't think that's a problem (or at least
it hasn't been reported here) with later generations of drives.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                              mooney AT dogbert.cc.ndsu.NoDak DOT edu

"signoff networker" in the