Networker

Re: [Networker] SV: [Networker] sizing a Sun server for a 4xLTO3 tape library

2006-05-12 12:15:40
Subject: Re: [Networker] SV: [Networker] sizing a Sun server for a 4xLTO3 tape library
From: Robert Maiello <robert.maiello AT PFIZER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 12:07:29 -0400
Ty,

I found the thread interesting rather than pesky. I apologize if I've
hijacked the thread in any way.

So each T2000 right now is using a single Gbit link ??   What I've done,
without trunking, is utilize 2 Gigabit NICs on the server for incoming
data.  ie.  I've manually configured half the clients to go to backupNICA
and half go to backupNICB.   This is via the "server network interface"
parameter.  When I add a storage node it will be via the storage node name.

One sees data coming in on both NICs then, and while it may not be as clean
as trunking it certainly utilizes the NICS and adds speed/bandwidth.  I'd
be extremely interested in how high the T2000 and Solaris 10 can drive 2
gigabit NICs.

If you have both NICs IP'd on each T2000, perhaps you could try this;
manually divide the clients to send data to each of the NICs and let us
know if you approach the throughput of 2 NICs per box. It would seem the
completion time of a group which utilizes all of your drives and goes over
a 200Mbytes/sec rate seems possible; without SUN trunking.

Robert Maiello
Pioneer Data Systems