Networker

Re: [Networker] Auto media management...

2006-05-10 14:57:05
Subject: Re: [Networker] Auto media management...
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 11:49:59 -0700

> Dear All,
> In my installation (NetWorker 6.1.3) i have the autochanger (STK9730)
> configured and i have configured Auto Media Management (AMM) = NO in juke
> box resource configuration. Its attached to backup server only. No Storage
> nodes, no DDs etc.
> .
> But in spite of this, I see NetWorker is automatically recycling the media
> as and when required.

That's what networker does.  If you don't want it to do so, you'll have
to mark the volumes as manually recyclable.

> Have anybody seen this behavior and probable cause of this. My backups are
> going on absolutely fine.

The cause of this is that AMM has nothing to do with volume recycling.
It may be confusing, but the documentation is explicit.  AMM only deals
with the automatic labeling of non-networker media.  It does not affect
recycling of valid networker tapes.

     auto media management    (read-write)
          This  attribute  indicates  whether   automated   media
          management  for  the jukebox is enabled.  The value can
          be yes or no.  If the value is set to yes,  then  unla-
          beled  volumes  in  the  jukebox  may  be automatically
          labeled by  NetWorker.   NetWorker  verifies  that  the
          volume  is  unlabeled  before  labeling  the volume.  A
          volume is considered to be unlabeled if the volume does
          not  contain  a label that may be read by the device in
          the jukebox into which the volume is loaded.
          [...]