Networker

[Networker] backup server OS - Windows or Linux?

2006-05-08 09:18:27
Subject: [Networker] backup server OS - Windows or Linux?
From: Fazil Saiyed <fazil.saiyed AT ANIXTER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 8 May 2006 09:06:05 -0400
Hello,
If you do not have Linux or Unix expertise your only choise should be
Windows, even though most of the work in networker is Unix cmds, via cmd
line, you dont need to use it for most part, a few cmd will help you get
around unix world.
However if you go Unix or Linux, troubleshooting devices,Tapes, drivers,
pakages, solaris and OS related problem could be overwhelming or sometimes
just imposible.
On the tape lib, we have ADIC i2K, i really like the lib, but the support
is not the best, with IBM tapes in it, ADIC tends to point the fingure at
IBM and IBM wont support you since it's not thier Tape lib.
My suggestion is look at STK, HP or IBM for Tape lib, i500 is very good
product if you can hammer out the support issues