Networker

[Networker] Question regarding DDS and storage nodes

2006-04-09 17:38:56
Subject: [Networker] Question regarding DDS and storage nodes
From: Nick Tan <nick AT WEHI.EDU DOT AU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 07:37:56 +1000
Hi,

We currently have a 7.1 server running on Solaris 8. It has two jukeboxes - a Quantum M1500 with 2 x SDLT220 drives, SCSI connected, and an Overland NEO2000 with 2 x SDLT600 drives, Fibre connected.

We have 2 DDS licenses and a Dedicated storage node license. What I want to do is configure a linux server to be a dedicated storage node and back itself up to the SDLT600 drives via DDS.

I plan to use DDS on the Fibre tape drives to the Linux server so the server can back itself up directly over fibre to the tape drives.

From my reading of the administration guide, I need to reconfigure my NEO2000 jukebox to allow for drive sharing. To do this I run jbconfig on the solaris server and enter multiple paths to the drives. Is this correct?

If so, I'm not 100% sure about what I put for the paths. At the moment, the paths I have on Solaris are /dev/rmt/3cbn and /dev/rmt/4cbn - so I'm assuming I need to put those in again for Solaris to see the drives. But I'm not sure what path I need to put for the linux server to see them. I'm guessing its something like linux:/path/to/drive, but the problem is that the linux server only sees the autochanger device (/dev/sg3), but not the SDLT600 drives.

If anyone can give me any advice it'd be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Nick

--
Nick Tan