Networker

Re: [Networker] Cloning question

2006-04-07 11:01:20
Subject: Re: [Networker] Cloning question
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 07:58:58 -0700
> > > Cloning always results in un-multiplexed tapes,
> >
> > That's not true.  If multiple savesets are specified to nsrclone, and
> > they are multiplexed on the source, they are also multiplexed on the
> > target.
> >

> ouch. well its always good to learn something new....
>
> I do most of my cloning from adv_file to tape, and that always seems to
> result in un-multiplexed savesets, or am i wrong about that too?

Well, adv_file devices aren't sequential tapes.  You don't have
multiplex penalties when reading from them (either restoring or
cloning).

When I mentioned savesets multiplexed on the source, I wasn't including
file devices.  They don't have a performance penalty for reading a
single saveset (although I don't know if normal file devices take that
into account).