Networker

[Networker] Cloning question

2006-04-05 16:19:01
Subject: [Networker] Cloning question
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 16:17:01 -0400
Hi,

I have a bunch of save sets on a clone volume that I'd like to clone a second time. Cloning it to the same clone pool is fine by me. Is it better to clone from the original tapes, or is cloning from the clone volume OK? One advantage of cloning from the clone volume is that in some cases, the originals might be elsewhere whereas the clones may be the only thing here on site. Also, there are some original save sets that spanned multiple volumes but were cloned to one clone volume so that would reduce the required tapes. Just trying to get a feel for the recommended approach. Seems cloning from the clone might be a quick solution in some cases.

We're running an older 6.x release, and it's my understanding that NetWorker would want to mount all the original volumes to clone the save set or all the clone volumes as the case may be, but apparently in 7.x you can have it clone just the piece that's on the given tape? Is it safe to assume that if NetWorker wants all the volumes that the saveset spanned then this will also be true if cloning from a clone, e.g if the clone saveset spanned multiple clone volumes?

Thanks.

George

"signoff networker" in the