Networker

Re: [Networker] 1.2TB LTO3?

2006-04-05 13:42:44
Subject: Re: [Networker] 1.2TB LTO3?
From: Jeff Mery <jeff.mery AT NI DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 12:41:52 -0500
The data you're backing up has *everything* to do with real-world
compression.  To contrast the 4x we see with Oracle, our file server
backups are typically in the 1.5x - 1.75x compression range.  It even
varies from tape to tape within a single full backup job.  Our main file
servers take something like 22 LTO-2 tapes for a full backup.  Some tapes
in that job will have almost no compression while others could see up to
2x - it all depends on the characteristics of the data they contain.

Jeff Mery - MCSE, MCP
National Instruments

"Allow me to extol the virtues of the Net Fairy, and of all the fantastic
dorks that make the nice packets go from here to there. Amen."
TB - Penny Arcade

Tim Verbois <Tim.Verbois AT ET.VLAANDEREN DOT BE>
Sent by: Legato NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>
04/05/2006 12:49 AM
Please respond to
Legato NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>; Please
respond to
Tim Verbois <Tim.Verbois AT ET.VLAANDEREN DOT BE>

NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Re: [Networker] 1.2TB LTO3?

 729 GB BRO394
 744 GB BRO772
 749 GB BRO386
 766 GB BRO734
 778 GB BRO659
 794 GB BRO722
 796 GB BRO512
 822 GB BRO695

These are LTO-2 tapes, without compression they store 200 GB.  We have
an imap mail server, a lot of small text files.

The possible compression depends on the sort of data, so maybe you don't
have data that can be compressed a lot?

--
Tim Verbois
EDS-Telindus