Networker

Re: [Networker] Problem with Expiration and retention dates

2006-04-05 10:31:39
Subject: Re: [Networker] Problem with Expiration and retention dates
From: Robert Maiello <robert.maiello AT PFIZER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 10:28:53 -0400
Go to Customize Groups, Details On.   For each group there is a
property "No Index Save" that you can check.   Then when the group
runs it will not save the indexes of the clients it just backed up.
This includes the index of the server itself ( however, if the server
is in the group it will always backup the bootstrap to a local device).

This will keep the indexes out of your backup groups (and will prevent
tapes from having an index with a long retention).

Then, create a group will all the clients in it.  Run this group
with the savegrp -0 option.  This will backup all the indexes as
one group run.  Including the server itself in this group guarantees
a bootstrap as well.  With this, the tape(s) created by this group
are all that is needed to disaster recover the backup server.  We
run this once a day.

Robert Maiello
Pioneer Data Systems

On Wed, 5 Apr 2006 08:34:29 -0500, Diane Rolland <drolland AT KDINET DOT COM>
wrote:

>Teresa Biehler wrote:
>> Option 4:
>>
>> Add the NW server to the group with the retention time you want.  So
>> that you don't back up the NW server an extra time, set up this
>> instance to do a level "skip" each day.
>>
>> -Teresa
>>
>This is interesting; So, I need to create a schedule called "Skip" and
>assign it to the instance of the Networker server that I will add to this
>new group?
>
>Doesn't this effectively keep the indexes from being backed up at all?
>
>I'm having trouble understanding the index backups.
>
>Thanks for any advise.
>Diane
>
>To sign off this list, send email to listserv AT listserv.temple DOT edu and
type "signoff networker" in the
>body of the email. Please write to networker-request AT listserv.temple DOT
>edu
if you have any problems