Networker

Re: [Networker] Backup of Oracle using rman - interface to Networker / interface for tape devices ?

2006-04-05 07:55:17
Subject: Re: [Networker] Backup of Oracle using rman - interface to Networker / interface for tape devices ?
From: Davina Treiber <DavinaTreiber AT PEEVRO.CO DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 12:53:49 +0100
IT-Administration ST wrote:
Hello dear fellow networkers,

at the moment we backup our oracle databases, located on Solaris machines, with a special
module called "nsrora", which is supplied by FSC. This module saves the whole
amount of space which is reserved, so if the DB is 150 GB, it saves 150 GB, even if the
amount of the real data in the tablespaces is just 2 GB.

We would like to use rman instead of nsrora. Is is true that for using rman together with networker we would need another module called "nmo" ?
At the moment we consider to get rman writing backups to a file in the
filesystem and then save that file with networker. A restore would imply
recovering that file to the filesystem and then restore parts of the oracle
database or the full database with rman.

What is the benefit of the nmo?

Is there a way to get rman writing directly to tape without the nmo?

Yes, NMO is an interface that allows RMAN to write directly to tape. It installs a library called libnwora.so, and you create a link to this from within the Oracle installation directories. Then you modify the RMAN script to write to a channel called "SBT_TAPE". RMAN then integrates with NetWorker and the media database for backups and recoveries. Works really well.

"signoff networker" in the