Networker

Re: [Networker] Networker hangs completely at times

2006-03-30 13:57:54
Subject: Re: [Networker] Networker hangs completely at times
From: Oscar Olsson <spam1 AT QBRANCH DOT SE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 20:56:16 +0200
On Thu, 30 Mar 2006, Robert Maiello wrote:

RM> Wow Ocscar, 7.3 is certainly a different beast.
RM>
RM> From your logs it looks like your using software/Networker based cleaning,
RM> 2 drives need to be cleaned and it's confused about the cleaning slots
RM> or can't deal with 2 drives needing to be clean at once. It looks
RM> like this is handled by the nsrlcpd process which, it has decided, will not
RM> talk to the jukebox anymore.

Yeah, that's what I figured. But it doesn't occur after a restart! But the
old operations seem to be queued still, so drives get cleaned twice!

RM> I agree to look for core dumps.  You could also turn off cleaning in
RM> Networker and see if this avoids this event.  You could try allocating
RM> several cleaning tapes or set the last cleaned date so the drives aren't
RM> up for cleaning..anything to avoid it.

Or maybe set slightly different cleaning intervals on drives! However, if
CDI didn't crash our qla driver on linux, then we could use that instead.
Oh well.

RM> It sounds similar to our 7.1.1 cleaning bug (fixed in 7.??)..if a drive
RM> is up for cleaning and a tape is in it and an inventory is run the inventory
RM> will hang..it cannot unload the drive to clean it.  Of course, the software
RM> doesn't come to a halt with this, only tape movement.

OK, well, I'll keep this list updated with my findings. However, I don't
expect much info anytime soon. :(

//Oscar