Networker

Re: [Networker] Scripting clones from adv_file devices

2006-03-30 07:52:23
Subject: Re: [Networker] Scripting clones from adv_file devices
From: rgraves <rgraves AT CARLETON DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 06:48:33 -0600
Siobhan Ellis wrote:
-q 'family=disk,copies<3'

Thanks, works perfectly.

Hmm, but do I really need to script this myself? Backing up a bit...

Primary backups go to an OffsiteDisk pool (5km fibre channel away). For reasons of efficiency, I think I want only one OffsiteDisk pool, with number of adv_file devices equal to the number of tape drives available as cloning destinations. I plan to clone to archival tapes kept elsewhere, and retain savesets in OffSiteDisk as long as disk space allows, then script nsrmm -d to reclaim space.

I would like to keep full savesets of the LongRetention group for a year, and incrementals for only 3 months. The NormalRetention group has a 3 month retention for both fulls and incrs. It seems to me that I could accomplish this by comingling LongRetention incr clones and all NormalRetention clones on one tape pool, segregating LongRetention to another pool, and manually recycling (or nsrmm -d'ing) the LongRetention incrs after 90 days. With automatic savegroup cloning, is there any reasonable way to split a group (or client's) saves across multiple clone pools according to level? Unfortunately, "No selection criteria are allowed for clone pools."

If I can't split the clone jobs automatically, I can sript it, but I'm trying to reduce the number of ad hoc scripts so that only EMC is to blame for bugs.

"signoff networker" in the