Networker

Re: [Networker] Networker Newbie

2006-03-24 14:27:51
Subject: Re: [Networker] Networker Newbie
From: "Greggs, Dana" <c-dgreggs AT STATE.PA DOT US>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 14:24:28 -0500
When I encounter tapes that are marked as full when the amount backed up
is less than the tapes native capacity, then there are several things I
suspect:

1.) Slow write rate due to slow backup push from clients (bottleneck
could be load, not enough bandwidth, network traffic, etc) or slow
network interface on backup server. If you are using copper over
Ethernet than at best you will get from 10MB to 35MB throughput. Because
of hardware compression the pipe from Ethernet to SCSI funnels open. I
average 40MB/s write speed and have sustained 50-60MB/s write speeds on
backups jobs of clients that are using GHz adapters.

2.) Not enough data is being pushed to tape. LTO is a streaming
technology.  Data is written in a linear fashion forward.  If you can
push enough data to tape to keep it from "shoe shining" or "backhitch"
which is the term applied to the process of tape drives having to slow
down, stop, write file mark; start, look for correct position on tape
(wind forward and wind backward until the correct file mark is found)
and continue repeating this process over the course of backup. This can
cause drive head damage and it definitely damages tapes. Networker being
the intelligent backup product that it is senses this and will mark a
tape as full to prevent you from using it.

3.) Damaged tapes due to physical handling, dust, etc or tapes damaged
by reason number two.

4.) Your drives could be dirty.

Suggestions:

1.) When you look at your save set messages, look for aborts in the
status and in the flag (ca,ta,etc). It only takes a couple of problem
clients to kill the overall backup job.

2.) If your hardware supports make sure Tape Alert is enabled. Networker
will display the warnings in its logs.

3.) Also block size relates to performance which in turn has an effect
on tape capacity. I configured my backup server's OS to accept a larger
block size than the 64K windows default. The Legato Performance Tuning
Guide has some good information on testing and tuning.

4.) Trying using just one or two drives. I backup 3.5TB daily and I use
1 drive per backup server though each Server has two LTO-2 drives. Only
on 1 Server do I use both drives. I try and strike a balance leaning in
favor of heavier multiplexing.

Thanks,

Dana