Networker

Re: [Networker] SCALAR 100 Mailbox Options?

2006-03-14 12:08:10
Subject: Re: [Networker] SCALAR 100 Mailbox Options?
From: Eric Horn <Ehorn AT CO.LUCAS.OH DOT US>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 12:07:02 -0500
I have been getting quotes on upgrading our 1 slot to a 10 slot (didn't
know about a 12 slot option, maybe because we are SDLT and not LTO2).
The amount is under $3.5K.    I am proceeding with the upgrade (if I'm
not overruled), but in the meanwhile I have scripts (such as "nsrjb -w
-v 000014") to unload tapes to the 1 slot door.   I seldom have to open
the door.

>>> Eddie.Albert AT AFRPA.PENTAGON.AF DOT MIL Friday, March 10, 2006 10:09:07
AM >>>
We bought a SCALAR 100 last year, took us forever to get the thing
running well.

When the SCALAR 100 was purchased (before I got here) they bought the
1
slot mailbox. Bordering on worthless. I know they sell a 12 Slot
mailbox
the cost for that thing is like $10k.

I think it is crazy to sell it for that much, but the alternative is
open the door and perform the massive tape swaps manually.

The problem with the manual tape swap is every time I have opened that
door, I ended up with a service call where they ended up replacing
LTO2
drives. Yes I know that doesn't make sense, but we are a 100% repair
rate every time I open the door.

The other option is to live near the scalar 100 and swap tapes out
almost all day. Needless to say I don't want to do that.

Any thoughts beyond the obvious SPEND THE $10k?

Semper Fidelis, /ALE

body of the email. Please write to
networker-request AT listserv.temple DOT edu if you have any problems