Networker

[Networker] Backups for SAP in a Windows/SQL Server landscape

2006-03-08 11:22:52
Subject: [Networker] Backups for SAP in a Windows/SQL Server landscape
From: Dale Mayes <dmayes AT KIMBALL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 11:19:12 -0500
Hello all,

We're considering migrating one of our SAP landscapes from HP-UX/Oracle
to Windows/SQL Server.

Approximate size of the database is 1TB
All data for this SAP landscape is stored on an EMC CX-700
SnapView and SANCopy are licensed/available/in-use on the CX-700 (we do
clone, snap & SANCopy other data already)
NetWorker is 7.2.1 running on HP-UX server with 2 primary HP-UX storage
nodes

We already use "serverless" backups for all of our SAP landscapes based
on in-house written perl scripts
We don't really want to "build" another solution for the Windows/SQL
Server environment...we'd prefer to "buy"

I'm looking for feedback on what others use for backups of SAP databases
in the Windows/SQL Server environment.

Looks like we could use:

EMC NetWorker Module for MS SQL Server
EMC NetWorker PowerSnap Module for EMC Clariion
MS-Windows based NetWorker Storage node to serve as the proxy client for
"serverless backups"

AND/OR:

EMC Replication Manager/SE

Thanks in advance...