Networker

Re: [Networker] Networker 7.3 discovered bugs

2006-03-03 11:08:07
Subject: Re: [Networker] Networker 7.3 discovered bugs
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 11:06:33 -0500
On Mar 3, 2006, at 10:48 AM — 3/3/06, Oscar Olsson wrote:

I wish I had. But we thought we didn't have a choice.

SH> Have you reported these issues through official channels to Legato?

Yep. We have received some response, but it has been less than helpful. But I guess our experience with networker support shows that this should
be expected.

SH> I would really like to upgrade to NetWorker 7.3 so I can take
SH> advantage of the feature where you can backup and recover NDMP to non-
SH> NDMP devices. That feature was supposed to be available in 7.2.1
SH> (which we're using now), but tests I did of that feature showed it to SH> be broken so I never utilized it in production. I heard from Legato SH> that it is fixed with 7.3. Can someone confirm that for me from real
SH> world experience?

Broken? In what way? It worked better than SnapImage when we were on 7.2.1
anyway.

We use NDMP to back up eight Mirapoint message stores (which are semi- plug and play email appliances). As a test, I used our production NetWorker 7.2.1 server to do a standard NDMP recover of one of our smallest production message stores to a message store that we use for R&D purposes. This gave me about 45GB worth of current data on our R&D server. I then configured the client entry for our R&D server to do an NDMP backup to a non-NDMP device. After the backup of our R&D server finished, I tried to recover that same data back to our R&D server. The result was that after a few minutes, the recover failed and it corrupted our R&D server so badly that the person who manages that server had to reinstall the OS and reload all his system related data to it because the server failed to reboot.

I promptly reported this issue to Legato tech support and they informed me the problem is fixed in 7.3. Fortunately, I discovered this issue in a test situation, so there was no harm done as a result of this glitch to us, other than wasting some of our time.

"signoff networker" in the