Networker

Re: [Networker] Networker 7.3 discovered bugs

2006-03-03 11:04:14
Subject: Re: [Networker] Networker 7.3 discovered bugs
From: Scott Russell <lnxgeek AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 11:02:47 -0500
Oscar Olsson wrote:
On Fri, 3 Mar 2006, Scott Russell wrote:
SR> In NWC I find that the Monitoring display is often not accurate. Here's a
SR> simple example:
SR> SR> 1) Start a group manually or find one that is currently running
SR> 2) On the Networker server run savegrp -n -E -c <client name> <group name>
SR> 3) Close and open the NWC Monitoring tab and it now says <group name> is
SR> complete even though it is still running
SR> SR> Seen on RHEL4 server while using NWC client from XP. Not reported (yet)

That's minor. :)
Sure, right up until some operator looks at the groups tab on the Monitoring panel and tries to start manipulating the group when it's already running. Simple example: right click the group and start it manually. NWC will happy try to and log an error on the 'log' tab. Speaking of tabs, it should would be nice if they changed colors or something when various events were updated. For example, if you are viewing the 'groups' tab then the 'log' tab could turn blue when informational messages are logged and red when critical errors are logged. This would be a nice way to let you know 'hey, something is going on over here'.

The reports generated from within NMC also seem to be inaccurate. If we gather data with the normal CLI tools, we noticed that there is actually much more data than what NMC reports.

I noticed this too. It appears to be at least partially related to who you login is. For example, if I logged in as 'aministrator' then I couldn't see 'sessions' or 'devices' on the Monitoring panel. After I created and logged in under a 'root' admin account these tabs suddenly got some information. I'm suspect that reporting is similar, you cannot gather report data when the user you are logged in by cannot access the data. The problem is there is no mention of this!

--
Scott Russell <lnxgeek AT us.ibm DOT com>
IBM Linux Technology Center

"signoff networker" in the