Networker

[Networker] Moving Networker server Solaris -> Linux?

2006-02-15 15:14:37
Subject: [Networker] Moving Networker server Solaris -> Linux?
From: Rich Graves <rgraves AT CARLETON DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 14:00:26 -0600
We're interested in moving our primary Networker server from an aging, underpowered Sun box to Linux instead of replacing the Sun. The cost argument is pretty strong -- a new Networker Network Edition for Linux license costs about the same as annual maintenance on the existing Solaris license, and the commodity hardware is cheaper. Other than the server itself, the backup hardware is a few terabytes of FC disks for staging (tier 2 D2D license) and FC-attached SDLT-320 drives for cloning/archiving, all of which should work with a Linux server. I'm aware that we could buy a Linux Storage Node, but that just delays the problem.

I know that moving indices and media database between platforms is not supported. Is it in fact impossible? Ever if just one can be moved, that might be acceptable -- i.e., rescue the indices but need scanner to actually read the tapes, or rescue the media database but lose indices and need full saveset recovers to restore data.

Of course we could keep the Sun lying around and use a cheap standalone drive for restores.

Who's been down this road before?

"signoff networker" in the