Networker

[Networker] nsrjb error handling in script behavior?

2006-02-14 15:19:15
Subject: [Networker] nsrjb error handling in script behavior?
From: "Duross, Theresa (DET)" <TDuross AT DETMA DOT ORG>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 15:16:04 -0500
Networker 7.2.1 Network Edition

DLT7000 tape drives

Solaris 8

I recently upgraded this server from Networker 6.1.3 and found some
unexpected behavior of the error handling of the nsrjb command with scripts.
I am suspicious that in at least one case the nsrjb command may not emit an
error and terminate the processes as it once did in Networker 6.1.3.

As an example when attempting to deposit a tape from an empty cap port the
previous version of Networker (6.1.3) responded with an error.  When
executed using the same script on Networker 7.2.1 the error message does
emit however the process/pid is not terminated and eventually over time
disrupted the server.

The workaround is to manually terminate the problematic processes.

This behavior is only seen, so far, when problems arose while executing a
script.  Does the 7.2.1 nsrjb command send error status?  I was also
wondering if anyone else has seen something like this and if this has
something to do with the tape drive behavior as well. I am still
investigating this issue.

Thanks in advance,

--Teri