Networker

[Networker] Changing the tapes, use mmlocate ?

2006-02-03 10:52:33
Subject: [Networker] Changing the tapes, use mmlocate ?
From: Scott Russell <lnxgeek AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 10:49:57 -0500
Greets.

You know, I'm a slack tape operator. I'm not sure that's something people are willing to publicly admit but I'm going to step right out there and say it. I tend to run my LTO-2 tapes to the point where I know it's time to change them when I start seeing read errors on test restores. Manufacturer tape change recommendations, what are those? Being slack and not changing tapes often is why I have to ask the following...

That said, can someone confirm for me that in my 4560 IBM Tape Library (4 drives, 60 slots, has barcode reader)

1) Unload all tapes using nsrjb -u
2) Use mmlocate to set the location of all tapes to something like "dusty_box_shelf_6"
3) Remove the physical media and insert the load the new media
4) Use nsrjb to label all slots

My goal is to prevent Networker from asking for the old tapes. Should they be set to "full" first or is using mmlocate good enough to let Networker know that it shouldn't ask for the tape during future backups

Thanks for the advices, sorry for the basic question.

--
Scott Russell <lnxgeek AT us.ibm DOT com>
IBM Linux Technology Center

"signoff networker" in the