Networker

Re: [Networker] Unloading drives that are not loaded

2006-01-26 13:20:03
Subject: Re: [Networker] Unloading drives that are not loaded
From: "Clark, Patricia" <Clarkp AT OSTI DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 13:16:34 -0500
 -----Original Message-----
From: Legato NetWorker discussion [mailto:NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU]
On Behalf Of Roberta Gold
Sent: Thursday, January 26, 2006 11:33 AM
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU

nsrjb -H -f /dev/rmt/1.1   (it only does unload on drive I want)
nsrjb -HH -f /dev/rmt1.1   (also works for me)

>  > It's because networker keep track of mounted volumes.
>>  At restart, networker will restart/recreate nsrmmds and re-read
>>  volume labels for the drives he know to be mounted.
>>
>>  Before shutting down networker, use "nsrjb -uvs <server>"
>>  or "nsrjb -uv" issued respectively from the storage node
>>  handling the robotic arm or from the backup server if it is
>>  operating robot to unmount all devices.
>>
>>  This will prevent behaviour you are seeing.
>
>Unfortunately I'm usually in this circumstance when the unload command
>has already failed or I'm recovering from a scsi error or some other
>circumstance where the networker server is not performing as I would
>like.
>
>I'm looking for a command that I can run after the fact that tells
>networker: "forget whatever you thought was going on with the tape
>drives and the library and start over"
>
>Is there such a command? nsrjb -H doesn't seem to work for this on my
>setup.
>
>-Adam

I have found that the nsrjb -HH will indeed do the reset for the whole
jukebox.  After that, do an inventory.

Another option is, if you still have the tape volumes that were in the
drives, you can just as manually put them back in and networker can be
used to unload them at that time.

Patti Clark
Unix Sys Admin - DOE/OSTI