Networker

Re: [Networker] Unloading drives that are not loaded

2006-01-26 11:30:32
Subject: Re: [Networker] Unloading drives that are not loaded
From: Tim Mooney <mooney AT DOGBERT.CC.NDSU.NODAK DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 10:28:41 -0600
In regard to: Re: [Networker] Unloading drives that are not loaded, Darren...:

You can use nsradmin to update the jukebox resource.  You'll need to
change several fields.

With dynamic and hidden fields turned on in nsradmin (see the man page)
you'll want to look at the following entries:

               loaded volumes: "", "", "", "";
             loaded bar codes: "", "", "", "";
                 loaded slots: "", "", "", "";

Do you also need to mess with the device resources?  I'm seeing "volume
name", "volume label", "volume current capacity", "volume expiration",
"volume pool", "volume id", "long volume id" and a few others.  Would
those need modification, or would they be automatically cleared on the
restart anyway?

I don't remember ever having to do that, but then again it's been years
since I've done this.  It might have even still been under version 5.x
that I last modified "what's mounted" in this way, so it's possible that
those fields weren't even present or used when I last tried this.  It's
more likely that my memory is just faulty, though.

I know I've never tried this procedure under version 7.x, I just don't
know if I last tried it under 6.x or if it was even earlier.

Either way, it's a last resort for desperate souls.  Using your suggested
procedure (just leave the tapes in the drives during the reboot) works
much better, in almost all cases.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                              mooney AT dogbert.cc.ndsu.NoDak DOT edu

"signoff networker" in the