Networker

Re: [Networker] Server Needed to drive multiple LTO3 drives

2006-01-17 17:18:54
Subject: Re: [Networker] Server Needed to drive multiple LTO3 drives
From: Jim Ruskowsky <jimr AT JEFFERIES DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 17:14:29 -0500
Itzik -

Thanks for the response.  Of those 10 drives, a pair of them will be
pretty
 much dedicated to NDMP, the other 8 will have dynamic drive sharing
enabled.

Here's what I envision for the rest of them:

        2 drives "connected" to storage node #1 doing over the network
backups,
        2 drives "connected" to storage node #2 doing over the network
backups,
        4 drives "connected" to various other clients with node licenses
doing their own backup
                (sorry I don't remember the exact NetWorker terminology
for this one)

My concern is which server to pick for storage node #1 and storage node #2

Some thoughts
        Sun V440's/Solaris 10, with the following I/O cards:
                64bit/66MHz     2GB Dual Fibre
                64bit/66MHz     2GB Dual Fibre
                64bit/66MHz     10GB Ethernet
        IBM eServer p5 570
                take advantage of its 64bit/133MHz PCIx slots

Please let the comments, recommendations, warnings roll in.

Thank you

Jim

"Itzik Meirson" <imeirson AT mbi.co DOT il>
01/17/2006 04:46 PM

"Legato NetWorker discussion" <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>, "Jim
Ruskowsky" <jimr AT JEFFERIES DOT COM>
cc

Subject
RE: [Networker] Server Needed to drive multiple LTO3 drives

Moving from 8 AIT-3 to 10 LTO-3 is quite an increase in throughput
potential. The potential increase is about ten times the current.
The 10 LTOs, if working concurrently and in optimal conditions, will
need a supply of at least 750MB/sec.
To get such a throughput from any single host will be quite a challenge.
You will probably need to use several storage nodes or NAS heads to
achieve this throughput.
This is just a very general observation as you did not specify storage
volume, storage spread, storage architecture and applications.
Itzik