Networker

Re: [Networker] First NW 7.3 oddity?

2006-01-09 19:27:43
Subject: Re: [Networker] First NW 7.3 oddity?
From: Siobhan Ellis <Siobhan.Ellis AT ENSTOR DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 11:24:12 +1100
Yes, import is deposit (Sorry, my SmartMedia days still showing through)

Siobhan

Siobhán Ellis
Principal Technology Consultant
ENSTOR Pty Ltd
Level 10, 118 Alfred St
Milsons Point
NSW 2061
Australia

Mobile: +61 424 750 544
Phone: +61 2 9900 2100
Fax: +61 2 9900 2199
e-mail: siobhan.ellis AT enstor.com DOT au
web: http://www.enstor.com.au

>>> ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM 10/01/2006 10:05:25 am >>>

> If you use the import, doesn't it do that automatically?

By "import" are you talking about doing a "deposit" with nsrjb?

I'm not sure what specifically you mean by "that".

If a newly introduced volume has a barcode that matches a valid
networker volume, and that volume has a location field that is either
empty or matches the jukebox, then a networker inventory quickly assumes
that the volumes are the same and marks it so in that slot.  No tape
movement occurs.  The tape label will still be verified when any load
does occur.

In the same situation, if the volume location in the media database is
not blank or does not match the current jukebox, then the inventory will
perform a tape load and read the volume name from the label.  It will
not simply trust the barcode.

As far as I am aware, this behavior is the same for volumes deposited
via the CAP or for tapes introduced to slots directly.  I don't have a
good environment to test this right now (my test box has no jukebox).

type
"signoff networker" in the
if
you have any problems