Networker

Re: [Networker] Networker 7.3 - Anyone look into using this with AlphaStor yet?

2006-01-05 00:58:04
Subject: Re: [Networker] Networker 7.3 - Anyone look into using this with AlphaStor yet?
From: Siobhan Ellis <Siobhan.Ellis AT ENSTOR DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 16:54:39 +1100
NMC does not have to be on the NW server. Indeed, if you have multiple
NetWorker servers, it should be on a seperate machine.

Siobhán Ellis
Principal Technology Consultant
ENSTOR Pty Ltd
Level 10, 118 Alfred St
Milsons Point
NSW 2061
Australia

Mobile: +61 424 750 544
Phone: +61 2 9900 2100
Fax: +61 2 9900 2199
e-mail: siobhan.ellis AT enstor.com DOT au
web: http://www.enstor.com.au

>>> Tim.Kimball AT BRASS DOT COM 5/01/2006 4:49:26 pm >>>

Thanks for the heads up.  I had the chance to grab copies of the release
notes for NW 7.1.3, 7.3, and AS 3.1 and go over the basics.

Mixing databases will not be an issue in our case, AS was installed on one
of our Storage Nodes and I'd put NMC on the Server.  We also have hopes to
remove AS at the first opportunity, perhaps by spinning off any remaining
active DLT tapes post-migration onto a couple Autoloaders or something.  An
M1400 instead of the L700 would be nice right about now... ;)

There is conflicting evidence regarding if AS and NMS can reside on the
same server.  The AS release docs (Nov 2005) says no, due to a database port
conflict.  The NW 7.3 docs (Dec 2005) actually says yes, as long as you
follow the included procedure to change the NMC database port.  *shrug*
Again, probably best to leave AS on the Storage Node.

As for 'supporting later,' I can probably wait a little while.  I'm
actually using the Sun EBS re-branded version, so I have to wait for Sun
patches and/or packages anyway; That's normally another 2-3 months unless it
got fast-tracked or done at the same time.

My main draw to 7.3 at the moment is the different retention times for
clones (which I can script around temporarily).  The other big thing is to
have a stable AlphaStor in the interim, which apparently 3.1 is (even has
FireFox support, though it already does actually from my own testing - more
stable than IE too).

I'll be calling Legato and/or Sun probably on Friday to get details on this
(for planning), and will forward any clarifications I get.

--TSK

=====
Timothy S. Kimball
=====