Networker

Re: [Networker] RE : [Networker] networker reporting utility and backup command

2006-01-04 07:28:41
Subject: Re: [Networker] RE : [Networker] networker reporting utility and backup command
From: bob flynn <bob.flynn AT S3GROUP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 12:23:48 +0000
Faidherbe, Thierry wrote:

> [...]
>but this is not 100% reliable as you can issue a manual save
>session and forcing a group membership.
>
>In addition (and if I followed you), you dump the data from the
>clearcase client to a netapp filer and then, dump the netapp filer
>via ndmp to tape. This is a multi steps backup.
>
>Up to now, what you can do if you know the source client(s) and NetApp Filer
>saveset name(s) is to build your backup quality control ruleset(s)
>(see FAQ page provided with my reporter kit) : In the rulesets, you
>will have to define "source client" as your clearcase server and
>"backuping client" as your effective backuping client name (NetApp Filer name)
>and restrict saveset names to used NetApp volumes (but NetApp volume saveset
>naming, of course -/vol/XXXX for eg-). This may be a solution if your
>volume is dedicated to 1 Q-TREE (because ndmp backups are volume-based
>and not QTREE-based).
>
>See section "Using NetWorker Reporting Utility's Backup Quality Control Rules
>Editor"  but this is again a status such as reported by mminfo (final backup
>step) and
>you cannot overwrite it : You may have an incomplete/incorrect clearcase dump
>that has correctly been written to tape and reported as OK by mminfo.
>
>HTH,
>
>Th
>
>Kind regards - Bien cordialement - Vriendelijke groeten,
>Thierry FAIDHERBE
>HP Services - Storage Division
>Tru64 Unix and Legato Enterprise Backup Solutions Consultant
>*********     ********* HEWLETT - PACKARD
>*******   h     ******* 1 Rue de l'aeronef/Luchtschipstraat
>******   h       ****** 1140 Bruxelles/Brussel/Brussels
>*****   hhhh pppp *****
>*****  h h p  p   ***** 100/102 Blv de la Woluwe/Woluwedal
>***** h h pppp    ***** 1200 Bruxelles/Brussel/Brussels
>******   p       ****** BELGIUM
>******* p       *******
>*********     ********* Phone : +32 (0)2 / 729.85.42
>                        Mobile : +32 (0)498/ 94.60.85
>                        Fax : +32 (0)2 / 729.88.30
>    I N V E N T         Email/MSN : thierry.faidherbe(at)hp.com
>                        Internet : http://www.hp.com/ <http://www.hp.com/>
>

>________________________________
>
>De: Legato NetWorker discussion de la part de bob flynn
>Date: mer. 4/01/2006 12:26
>À: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
>Objet : Re: [Networker] networker reporting utility and backup command
>

>Itzik Meirson wrote:
>

>>Normally, clearcase backups are just regular file(system) backup that
>>have been done by either a special backup script or the Networker
>>savepnpc pre/post processor.
>>As such, there is no special designation for clearcase backups.
>>As regarding to the second part of your question, there is no recording
>>of the "backup command".
>>The "script" or in other words the "backup command" can (usually) be
>>found in the Networker's executables directory according to the OS

many thanks for the detailed reply.

To clarify the backup process.

savesets which contain clearcase data, call a clearcase aware script.
This does the following;
1. Locks the vobs residing in the saveset. ( It can do this as the
backup server is also a clearcase client ).
2. tell the filer to run a ndmp dump of the saveset.
3. Once completed, unlock the vobs.
4 To some housekeeping, ie rotate log files to track the above.

I propose to change this by making snapshots on the filer clearcase
aware, then simply doing a snapshot and backing this up.

>From what you are saying, the simplest way of marking out clearcase
backups would to do something like put all clearcase data on a specific
volume and search for the status of backups of that volume ?