Networker

Re: [Networker] Same Netware volumes regularly fail to backup

2006-01-03 07:42:31
Subject: Re: [Networker] Same Netware volumes regularly fail to backup
From: Andrew Horne <a.horne AT SHEFFIELD.AC DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2006 12:40:06 +0000
Tony,

Thanks for this information. I have back-revved and run a test of this and a volume which had previously failed was backed up without error. I shall try this on other servers with failed volumes.

Regards,

Andrew

Tony Skalski wrote:
Andrew,

We saw (and actually still see occasionally) this problem. After a few weeks with Legato's tech support, someone on this list (or a Novell list) recommended back-revving to tcp659j. Doing this helped tremendously (we had one volume that would do nothing more than throw RPC errors after a few hundred GB). I have seen it once since. We saw the problem with NetWare 6.5 SP4a + client 7.2 and RH9 + Networker 7.1.3 server.

I was able to reproduce the error with a 0KB file I found on the volume and I have a hunch (unconfirmed as yet) the issue is related to strange filenames resulting from code page mismatches (between NetWare server and a client).

I cannot get Legato to tell me what the core issue is or under what circumstances it can be reproduced, yet they will say it is a Novell problem, for whatever that's worth.

ajs

--

Andrew Horne
The University of Sheffield