Networker

[Networker] Need help with a crontab entry

2005-12-16 14:47:43
Subject: [Networker] Need help with a crontab entry
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 14:47:09 -0500
Hi,

I found the following two crontab entries (see below) on our primary server. I suspect I may have added these a long time ago, but I have no clue why or what they're really accomplishing, so I have several questions here. One thing I've noticed, though, and it seems hard to believe it could related, but on or about 8 AM every darn morning, we get a SCSI Bus RESET on our storage node server for id 0 which is the picker (robot) on the attached library. We have tried everything to resolve this. It seems coincidental that this cron job is running on or about that same time! We're running an older 6.1.1 release on Solaris with two Linux RedHat storage nodes.

1. What does placing a new time stamp on the nsrim.prv file do?

2. Do we need these entries? Seems like the second one is doing the exact same thing except at 3 minutes after 8 pm but skipping Mondays. Not sure why we ever needed to do that. Could these entries be safely removed?

3. How or when does the server run nsrim -MX if you don't have these entries or would there even be any reason to do that under normal circumstances?

4. Could this be causing some kind of problem with these RESETS?

Thanks,

George

# Adding entry to provide work around for Legato NetWorker media database
# contention from bootstrap or nsrim -MX. Reduces nsrim to one run per week
# at 8 am.
3 8 * * 0,1,3-6 /bin/touch /nsr/mm/nsrim.prv
3 20 * * 0,2-6 /bin/touch /nsr/mm/nsrim.prv

"signoff networker" in the