Networker

[Networker] How to clone from storage node to same storage node?

2005-12-14 18:18:09
Subject: [Networker] How to clone from storage node to same storage node?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 18:11:51 -0500
Is there a trick to clone from a storage node to the same storage node? We're running an older release 6.1.1.

I have two storage nodes (snode1, snode2). These are full storage nodes, not dedicated, and each manages one library or jukebox. I have both listed under the "Storage nodes" field for the primary server (order=snode1,snode2,nsrserverhost), and I have both listed for the "Clone storage nodes" field (same order). Neither the backup pool nor the clone pool have any restrictions, so there are no devices, levels, etc. selected. All devices have a "Save mount timeout" of 10 and "Save lockout" of 1. For both jukeboxes, I have "Max parallelism" set to the number of drives in the library, not 1 less, which is the default. These storage nodes function perfectly fine during backups.

snode2 has both the backup volume and an appendable clone volume. Both volumes are appendable and are not physically write protected or set to read-only, and they both show up in the inventory.

When I run a clone command from my host as:

nsrclone -s server -b pool -S ssid

It loads the original backup tape on snode2 into the first drive. It then requests a clone volume on snode1 and just sits there. After a while, it issues a retry message, but never mounts the clone volume. Here's what happens from the command line:

Automatically copying save set(s) to other volume(s)

Starting cloning operation ...
  ...from storage node: snode2
NSR server server: retry needed
nsrclone: waiting 30  seconds then retrying

I can clone from snode1 to snode1 but cloning from snode2 to snode2 seems to continue to ask for a clone volume on snode1 no matter how long I wait.

Is it necessary to have both storage nodes defined as clients? If so, does it matter if they're not in any active groups? We have snode1 in the client list, and it has 'snode1' listed for the "Storage nodes" field and nothing for the "Clone storage nodes" field. We don't have snode2 listed as a client.

Thanks.

George

"signoff networker" in the