Networker

Re: [Networker] licensing requirements for driving library's drives with > 1 server

2005-12-13 15:51:09
Subject: Re: [Networker] licensing requirements for driving library's drives with > 1 server
From: Matthew Huff <mhuff AT OX DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 15:46:46 -0500
> The disadvantage of doing that, though, is now your NDMP
> backups run over your LAN (and cut into your available
> bandwidth there), rather than through your SAN.  Most sites
> are probably willing to live with that considering the other
> benefits of doing NDMP like traditional NetWorker backups,
> but you do pay a penalty of available LAN bandwidth.

Very true, but if you can use an extra card and setup a separate VLAN
for just the NetApps and the server, you won't impact any other traffic.
It also allows you to use jumbo frames. We also have dual Cisco 6500s
with Sup720 engines, so overall bandwidth isn't an issue.

----
Matthew Huff       | One Manhattanville Rd
Dir of Operations  | Purchase, NY 10577
OTA LLC            | Phone: 914-460-4039
www.otaotr.com     | Fax: 914-460-4139